In celebration of Children’s Book Week 2015, the The Lane Libraries will host a “Robert McCloskey Walk “ 

10 a.m. Saturday May 9.

Walk in the footsteps of Robert McCloskey, Hamilton’s famous children’s author. Meet at the Hamilton Lane Library, (Children’s Department on the 5th Floor)  and parade your way to the Robert McCloskey Museum, touring McCloskey landmarks along the way.

The Walking Tour is led by Brandon Soale, curator of the McCloskey Museum.  He will end the tour at 11:30 and participants will have time to return to their cars for the dedication at the Hamilton Lane Library at noon.


Dedication of United for Libraries Children’s Book Week 2015 Literary Landmark will follow at noon.


The plaque will read: “Two-Time Caldecott Award winner Robert McCloskey (1914-2003) walked through the doors of this library many times as a child.  McCloskey was born in Hamilton and his first book, Lentil, featured several Hamilton scenes including this library.  Published by Viking in 1940, it told the story of a boy much like himself who played the harmonica,” and will contain the names of contributors Heritage Hall, the Lane Libraries, the Ohio Educational Library Media Association and Penguin Young Readers, an imprint of Viking.


Presenters  will include Gratia Banta, Youth Services Manager, the Lane Libraries; Nancy Follmer, President,  Heritage Hall; OELMA Representatives; Mike Dingeldein, architect; Carol Bowling, Branch Manager, Hamilton Lane Library; and Peter Roop, author, who will read Lentil.

After the dedication, there will be a tour of the Hamilton Lane Library and you can view their painting of McCloskey, “Man with a Harmonica”  by Jane White Cooke, and check out books by McCloskey while you snack on donut holes.  

Click below for the American Library Association press release for Children’s Book Week.

Dedication of McCloskey Literary Landmark, Hamilton Lane Library

May 9, 2015

Heritage Hall will open a new room dedicated to the history of Frederick G. Mueller, architect of the former Municipal building which now bears his name.  Mueller was born in Hamilton in 1873 and spent his career positively influencing the City’s architecture.  The Frederick G. Mueller room will be located on the third floor outside the former council chambers and will house photographs and artifacts many of which have never before been displayed.  The new exhibit space will showcase the life and prestigious careers of Frederick G. Mueller and his associates Walter Hair and Ralph Hetterich.  Be sure to visit when you come to the program May 8, 2015.  It will also be open on Friday’s and Saturdays during museum hours. 



Frederick G. Mueller Room Set To Open

Heritage Hall Museum



Mark Rentschler speaker at Heritage Hall event

















Mark Rentschler was the speaker at the Heritage Hall event on November 6.  His speech, titled Miami Conservancy; Past, Present and Future centered around the conception of the Miami Conservancy District, the impact it made on the Miami Valley, the Districts objectives and the plan for the future. 


Mark is the fifth member of his family to serve on the Miami Conservancy Districts Board of Directors and is currently serving as board president.


The fall exhibit at Heritage Hall, Building a Promise: The Miami Conservancy District, is dedicated to the success of this seemingly impossible dream initiated by the citizens of the Miami Valley to save future lives. The display will be open to the public beginning Friday, November 6.


In March 1913, the citizens of the Miami Valley witnessed a natural disaster unparalleled in the region's history. Within a three-day period, eight to 11 inches of rain fell throughout the Great Miami River Watershed. More than 480 people lost their lives. Property damage exceeded $100 million (thats more than $2 billion in todays economy). The amount of water that passed through the river channel in Dayton equaled the amount of water that flows over Niagara Falls in a four-day period. In the years following the disaster, the Miami Conservancy District built the flood protection system between 1918 and 1922.


The original system included five earthen dams, channel improvements and levees in Piqua, Troy, Tipp City, Dayton, West Carrollton, Miamisburg, Franklin, Middletown and Hamilton. The construction of the Miami Conservancy Districts flood protection system was completed in an amazing five years, from 1918 to 1922. The MCD's flood protection system was the largest public works project in the world of its time, employing a workforce of more than 2,000 people.


The cost of the flood protection system was more than $30 million. Careful attention to planning, financing, legislation and implementation resulted in the most comprehensive flood protection system in the nation.


Since completion of the original system in 1922, the dams have stored floodwaters more than 1,800 times. In January 1959, a winter storm recorded the greatest high-water event since the completion of the flood protection system. It would become the most significant test to date of the MCDs protection system a test that it easily passed. Three of the five dams; Germantown, Taylorsville and Huffman recorded their highest storages ever during that high-water event. Following the projects success, MCD built several other flood protection projects at the request of communities subjected to flooding, including: Miami Villa, Miami Shores, Excello, Coleman Plat, and Lower Stillwater. The Miami Conservancy District has also helped complete an addition to the Middletown levee system. The residents of these areas and local governmental agencies paid for these construction projects.



   Working on the flood protection system.


Flood prevention fund subscriptions in Dayton
ood p















Creating the levee for the conservancy.












2015 Spring Exhibit Highlights
Butler County Architecture



The spring exhibit at Heritage Hall, The Architecture of Butler County, is presented in conjunction with the 80th Anniversary of the dedication of the Mueller Building. Opening in November 1935 as Hamilton’s Municipal Building, it is now home to Heritage Hall, The Robert McCloskey Museum and The Hamilton Mill.

The exhibit highlights the wide range of architectural styles found in buildings throughout the county. Architectural styles emerge from the history of a society. They are characterized by the features that make a building or other structure notable and historically identifiable; elements such as form, method of construction, building materials and regional character. At any time several styles may be fashionable, and when a style changes it usually does so gradually, as architects learn and adapt to new ideas, new methods of construction and new construction materials.



Also featured in the exhibit will be architects significant to Butler County, including those with studios located in the county, such as Frederick Mueller, and those located outside the county who received commissions for significant local buildings. Examples include Samuel Hannaford (1835-1911) and Charles Cellarius (1891-1973), both of Cincinnati.

Another exhibit feature will be those
buildings with special significance in terms of uniqueness of design and/or historical importance, such as the Miami University Art Museum and the McGuffey House Museum.

The exhibit will open to the public May 8th at 6:30 pm.


Sorg Mansion




 The Sorg Mansion built in Middletown in 1887 by Paul J. Sorg





 Lane-Hooven House built in 1863


by Hamilton industrialist, Clark Lane.



Lane Hooven House








Mike Dingeldein To Speak At       
Spring Event






Hamilton architect Mike Dingeldein is scheduled to be the featured speaker for the Heritage Hall Spring Event. Dingeldein and his wife, Cindy, co-founded Community Design Alliance (CDA). CDA is a community-based architecture firm in downtown Hamilton offering support and inspiration for the revitalization of the City of Hamilton and greater Butler County.

Dingeldein will be discussing how we define Butler County architecture, examine styles of architecture that are reflected in local designs and the traditional role of the architect in shaping our community.

The presentation will include noteworthy examples of beautiful and influential local architecture. He will encourage us to examine how innovative design served our community historically and how we can support the revitalization of Butler County’s available spaces going forward.

The program The Architects and Architectural Styles of Butler County will begin at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, May 8th in the Council Chambers on the third floor of the Frederick G. Mueller building. This program is free and open to the public. A reception with light refreshments will follow.



Mike Dingeldein, CDA